Mainly instructed to defend in Crown Courts across the Midlands and in the Court of Appeal. Casework includes offences of serious violence, public disorder, serious sexual crime, grave dishonesty and drugs supply.
Grade 4 CPS prosecutor.
Accustomed to dealing with vulnerable clients who require special care by reason of mental illness, disability or behavioural disorder. A thoroughly modern approach to practice with early and regular advice given by telephone and email, on evidence, legal issues and disclosure requests. Out of hours prompt and short notice responses in urgent matters. Conferences at prison, Chambers, solicitors’ offices and via video link to maintain client confidence and contact. Down to earth and reassuring manner to ease client’s fears.
Recent and notable instructions have included :
- Conspiracy to import and sell firearms. Importation of prohibited weapons from USA to UK. Linked allegation of using drones to deliver items into prison. Successfully resisted all of Crown applications.
- Conspiracy to murder and attempted murder. Represented principal defendant in planned killing of one victim and attempted murder by shooting of another.
- Supply of Class A drugs wide ranging covert operation. Appeared for head of organised crime group (OCG) who directed others in supply of import quality cocaine and heroin from an Albanian OCG.
- Junior counsel for the defence in a terrorist trial at Central Criminal Court. Represented a radicalised Muslim who supported Islamic State. Planned a martyrdom suicide bombing in central London. Security Service evidence.
- Represented a member of anarchist group Anonymous who launched an internet denial of service attack on the Home Office and Home Secretary’s websites. This involved very complex computer expert evidence. Several defence experts instructed. This was the first such e -Crime trial to be held outside London.
- Successfully represented one of a number of defendants who were serving life sentences for murder and terrorism. These were alleged to have plotted and executed a political attack on a fellow life prisoner who was a former army officer.
- Represented a defendant who posed as airline pilot to dupe and defraud several single women on online dating websites.
- Represented an accountant in £5 million mortgage fraud. Issues of professional negligence, allegations of witness intimidation by co- defendants and perverting the course of justice by solicitors.
- Attempted Murder. Not guilty verdict achieved after legal argument as to whether trial should continue. Early and persistent disclosure requests were crucial.
- Attempted murder. Represented 17 year old client. Not guilty verdict in ‘drive-by’ shooting. Succeeded in legal argument on bad character and references to ‘gangs’.
Licensing and Regulatory
Instructed by local authorities, pub management companies, police forces and individuals, in alcohol and entertainment licensing. Appears at local authority committee and appellate level.
Represents companies :
- in environmental offending allegations e.g. food safety and waste disposal
- in health and safety matters
- in financial regulatory breaches e.g. trading in bankruptcy and directors’ disqualification cases
Accredited by the Bar Council under the Direct Access procedure and in suitable cases is happy to accept instructions from members of the public. Please see the Direct Access section of the website for further details.
Continuing professional development
Lectures at Warwick University : training for HM Health and Safety Executive Inspectors on evidence, procedure and witness familiarisation.