Part-time Judge of the Mental Health Tribunal and CAMHS Tribunal (Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services)
Prior to practice at the Bar, employed as a registered mental health nurse, 1976 – 1986.
Specialist criminal practitioner, instructed to appear on behalf of defence at Crown Court and appellate level, in a wide variety of cases – allegations of homicide and non-fatal offences against the person, rape and sexual assault (current and historical), carousel fraud and other types of fraud, other offences of dishonesty, drugs offences. Has particular expertise in dealing with cases involving mental health issues. Experienced in dealing with substantial confiscation hearings under the POCA regime.
Recent instructions have included :
- represented one of 8 defendants charged with various allegations of incest, rape and sexual assault
- instructed to represent a defendant charged with conspiracy to rob and manslaughter
- junior for the defence in a carousel fraud involving £112 million, including successful appeal against conviction at Court of Appeal
- defence junior in several murder cases including a baby shaking case
- defence junior in a multi-million pound money laundering case
- instructed to represent one of 6 defendants charged with conspiracy to smuggle drugs into the UK, very sophisticated operation
- POCA confiscation hearings of high value, up to £102million
- represented numerous defendants charged with a variety of offences, where there were issues of fitness to plead and / or mental health disposals