Attained teaching qualification in 1999, and prior to Call spent a brief period teaching law in various inner city schools in Birmingham. Whilst studying for the Bar, was appointed by the Home Office to the Board of Visitors for HMP Birmingham. Joined Chambers in 1999.
Specialist criminal practitioner. Predominantly instructed to defend in a wide variety of criminal matters, with particular experience in homicide, serious violence/ public disorder, firearms, drugs offences [with nationwide dimensions], money laundering, rape and other serious sexual offences against adults and children. Appellate experience has included a significant number of appeals against sentences of imprisonment for public protection (IPP).
Also instructed to prosecute [Grade 3 prosecutor] difficult or multi handed cases : grave crimes by organised gangs, serious bank frauds, repeated sexual abuse within a family setting, dangerous driving cases involving death, serious brain injury or other serious physical incapacity, serial arsonists, cases against police officers involving the Police Anti- Corruption Unit.
Has experience of confiscation applications under various statutory regimes, including POCA.
Instructed in cases where substantial issues of disclosure / public interest immunity have arisen.
Accustomed to dealing with defendants and witnesses who are vulnerable by reason of age or mental health issues.
Recent instructions have included :
- represented one of eight defendants acquitted of 3 charges of murder which arose from an incident when 3 men were struck by a car (during the 2011 riots in Birmingham)
- instructed to defend in a huge multi handed drugs conspiracy
- instructed to defend [court appointed] where the defendant was charged with attempted murder, the defendant diagnosed with mental illness
- instructed to defend a case of ‘stranger rape’ in proximity to children
- represented a young person in a case involving allegations of rape/ serious sexual offences against children
- instructed to prosecute a case concerning sophisticated identity thefts on a nationwide scale
- instructed to prosecute large-scale public disorder with significant involvement of the IPCC arising from allegations of ‘police brutality’
- instructed to defend in conspiracy to supply Class A drugs to a serving police officer (drug user) and associates, in exchange for police intelligence
- instructed to defend in multi handed theft/ burglary/ robbery conspiracy which required mastery of intricate cell site data.
Accredited under the Direct Access procedure and in suitable cases is happy to accept instructions direct from members of the public. Please see the Direct Access section of the website for further information.